The trip had its moments - several actually. Driving down to Denton we were in a head wind until just about an hour from the RV park. - oh yeah - did I mention we were pulling a 10,000# RV?? Steve did awesome- he kept us between the dotted lines. (thanks hun for getting us there and back.) I could not have done that. When we get there it is cold-really cold. I was a bit confused on the RV park location and we took a bit of a detour down some farm road and came nose to nose with a big ole Texas Longhorn. Looking at us like we were crazy. Steve was ticked off and frustrated and all the kids are yelling - "WOW!! Look at the horns on that thing!!" I couldn't help myself- I started giggling. It was funny! But I soon squelched the giggles when I got a look at Steve's expression - no amusement whatsoever.
In the morning we got breakfast, loaded snacks and grabbed jackets and off to the track. We got to the track and wandered around the fan walk. It was full of vendors selling everything. IT WAS COLD!!! The jackets were not doing the job.- Not so much cold but the wind was blowing pretty hard. We ended up getting 'souvenir's' for the kids - Samuel got a Dale Earnhardt hoodie, Emily got a Jeff Gordon zip up hoodie, (see a pattern forming here?) Tyler and Abigail each got a "Race Princess" hoodie. Now we were at least keeping the chill at bay. We finally ascended the bleachers and found our seats and made it through the race. After the race and tailgating we made our way back to the camper to discover we were running off our battery and it was about dead. Monday morning we decided to head for home. All in all we had a great time. We made a couple of stops on the way back.
We ate an early dinner at Eskimo Joe's in Stillwater, OK and stopped about 3 times for gas.
Steve asked me if I thought the kids had fun or if the cold and windy conditions made it a bad experience. I thoughtfully pondered that . . . . and told him, "Well think of it this way, if the kids had a bad time, then any other race that comes along, the kids won't want to go and that will leave us with going to the races by ourselves!!" That got a smile. :o)


No comments:
Post a Comment